Monday, November 29, 2010

DIY Seitan (with Vital Gluten Flour) - 1

Corn "Beef " Seitan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFW9turegxI

----------------------------
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/610353
alwayscooking:

I don't make 'steaks' (tried the boil in stock as well as the baked approach) since I haven't found anything really appealing to me. Instead, I make a loaf weekly and then use it in a variety of ways - as cutlets, diced, sliced thin. I've used the recipe you cite but make it in thinner logs and season it with more sausage-like spices. It's a nice snack and a pizza topping.

Since I've made a variety of spongy seiten logs myself, I've tried another approach, although I haven't perfected making it yet though!

WHEAT MEAT

Vital wheat gluten
Tofu (1/3 less then the VWG or so)
Garbanzo bean flour (it makes the VWG proteins bond better per McGee)
Water
Umami (soy sauce, dried mushroom powder and/or tomato paste)
Optional: Nutritional yeast, nuts, dried fruits, onions, shredded carrots, etc.
Herbs and spices (this varies depending if I want 'chicken', latin, italian, etc)

Mix the dry ingredients together. Food process the wet ingredients including the tofu Bring the mixtures together. Add enough water to barely hold the loaf together. Knead for 10+ minutes until the loaf feels very smooth (like a pasta dough), cover and let rest for 30 min.

Place in a loaf pan and add vegetable broth about 1/2 up the side. Put in a 375-400 oven. , After an hour, turn the loaf and add more liquid if needed. During cooking, the loaf will puff, it will be done when the loaf collapses and the liquid is absorbed. Let rest (it's better cooled and then reheated).

Notes: make your own vegetable stock if possible - it just tastes better and you can add some kombu for more umami. If you use prepared stock, put it cold in a pan, add a piece of kombu, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, discard the kombu, and use.



------------------------------

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/610353

Soleilnyc

One recipe was rolled into thin cutlets and placed in very cold water with 2 T of miso, left to rest for 10 minutes, then slowly brought to a bare simmer for an hour.'

The other was rolled into a log, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and dropped into rolling boil of a very flavorful broth (soy sauce, nutritional yeast, onions, bay leaves and poultry spice). Heat was lowered and simmered for an hour.

I've been exploring seitan recipes for 4 years and now, apart from the seitan o greatness, I think that, totally by accident, I've found my go-to recipes.

The cold start recipe gave me a chicken like texture, complete with layers and fibers and everything when I pulled it apart. This might be what you are looking for with nuggets.

The second rolling boil recipe gave me what I would think vegans would take as a salisbury steak texture (I'm not vegan or vegetarian. Like you, I just enjoy the taste)..in between a solid steak and hamburger.meatloaf type. If you have ever been to New World in Woodstock, this perfectly replicated the texture of their cornmeal crusted jerk steak. It would also be good for country fried steak and the like.

As for your theory about wrapping, some vegan chefs do wrap their seitan in cheesecloth before dropping it in the broth. It helps compress the dough and prevents that "brainy" texture from appearing on the outside of the seitan. Check out these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFW9turegxI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_VU91...

No comments:

Post a Comment